The International Media awards are, presented in London, to celebrate high standards of journalism across the world, but with particular emphasis on Middle-Eastern reporting.
The awards will be presented at a ceremony held by the International Council for Press and Broadcasting, a group now allied to the International Communications Forum, a body affiliated with the Next Century Foundation. The awards honour editors, journalists, bloggers and anyone else who played a role in fostering understanding between people, and demystifying complex wars.
The awards are divided into several categories:
- The Peace through Media prizes are for senior journalists, who have contributed to better understanding throughout their careers, and comprise the symbolic gift of an olive tree.
- The Cutting Edge prizes are for journalists recognised for their high standards of analysis and reporting, often in conflict situations.
- The Breakaway prize is for young journalists, who have already begun to make an impact at the beginning of their careers.
- The Lifetime Achievement prize.
- The Photography & Visual Media prize
- The Outstanding Contribution to Broadcasting prize
- The New Media prize
In this highly advanced technological age, in which the seeds of war can be sown from misunderstanding, The International Media Awards recognise the media’ s integral role in achieving peace, truth and rapprochement.